Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Is Diablo 3 like Micky Mouse?

It’s not just the fans anymore. Bill Roper is complaining that Diablo 3 isn’t Diablo enough.

Bill Roper is the producer of the original Diablo and Diablo II and he thinks that Diablo is a Gothic fantasy. He thinks the CLOWNs at Blizzard have took the game over and have repainted the graphics in their favorite cartoony colors.

I think that one of the things that we always tried to get across was that Diablo was Gothic fantasy and I think there was just a need that was put in there from the visuals that I didn’t necessarily get. I got it from the architecture and to a degree from the character design but not the feeling of the world. I can’t say that I dislike it. I didn’t look at it and go, oh my God that’s horrible. But I looked at it and went, it’s not really… to me as a player it just didn’t really ring with Diablo.

Admittedly, it could be that Bill Roper is bitter about the dismal failure of the Hellgate: London project. Frankly, though, I agree with him - we need MORE blood and guts and dark horrors, not LESS.

2 comments:

Blogpirat said...

Bill just takes his chances to say what the fans want him to say.

Ofc it´s brighter and has some more colors, but Diablo 2 isn´t dark or gothic at all. I guess there will be some darker dungeons in D3 ... but Blizz will never let the Fans know, that its only because of their petition.

Greetings
Martin
My Diablo 3 Blog

Narkath said...

Stay a while and listen...

It's not about blood, guts and the like. It's exactly as he says, it's the atmosphere.

I must say that I was not a fan of Diablo 2. Diablo 1 on the other hand had unbelievable darkness (aka atmosphere)and something that creeps into those dark spaces of your mind and stays there. For instance, I can recite the quote from "halls of the blind" word for word.

There is dark quality to that game that I felt was lacking in D2. Cartoony is exactly like I described it to my friend when I saw it so many years ago. Now the creator of both of those games is saying the same thing of D3 ...well, it's time for me to say "ah-bloody-ha. I told you so".

I mean I watched a clip on youtube where Blizzard was describing demon deaths and they called them monsters for goodness sake! These are supposed to be demons!! It just shows you their attitude.

sigh. there are just so many things I dislike about this new one: the music, the light radius story, the funky colors, the big, epic scenes. Tristram as far as I am concerned IS Diablo.

Bring back the sound of a throat being cut and blood spilling out as air escapes.

So do you remember the corpses on the walls in D1? And the pikes? *swoon* :)